When purchasing a home, if you plan to finance, your lending company will evaluate your credit. Based on your credit rating, they will offer you an interest rate and terms (hopefully!). Many buyers do the following things during the loan application process and accidentally sabotage themselves! So my friends:
- Do NOT change jobs, become self employed or quit your job.
- Do NOT purchase a new vehicle, furniture or other large ticket items.
- Do NOT use charge cards excessively or let your accounts fall behind.
- DO NOT omit debts or liabilities from your loan application.
- Do NOT originate any inquires into your credit (except the free reports).
- Do NOT switch banks or move your money around.
- Do NOT co-sign a loan for anyone.
2 thoughts on “Thinking of Buying a Home? DON’T Do These 7 things!!”
Hey would this be within a year or maybe 6 months of trying to apply for a home loan? Talya
It depends on the item. To change employment to be self employed they will want 2 yrs history of earning an income. Too many auto loan inquires for credit can damage your credit score…but the actual debt should not be added during the loan process. The other items should not be done unless you want that debt counted against you and lessen your loan amt./ ratios. It is a good idea to get pre-qualified by a loan company prior to looking for a home.